Assos - XC
Hit the trails with these XC-tuned mountain bike shorts with enhanced durability and comfort
Mountain bikers need clothing solutions too, so Assos' set about extending the premium, mountain bike-specific OFFROAD collection. The apparel engineering team were tasked with the challenge of creating a breathable yet durable short that has signature Assos performance yet doesn’t break the bank. The result of their hard work is these XC-specific bib shorts, for which Assos just can’t find enough superlatives.
Employing the ripstop, high abrasion resistant and breathable dyneRope fabric (which is stronger than steel), these shorts have been put through their paces by the BMC MTB Racing Team’s best riders. And with such stringent world class testers giving their approval, it’s clear that the pedigree of these shorts has already been confirmed. The result is a tough, lightweight and highly breathable pair of shorts that are perfect for the toughest XC trails. According to the team, the dyneRope on the outside of the legs wicks sweat like no other, delivering a seriously world-class performance that saw the riders sweep the team standings at the 2017 UCI MTB World Cup series.
But no matter how hard you’re pushing while riding off-road, there’s always a need for superior Assos comfort in the saddle so they have opted for the opulent MTB-specific insert. Placed a little further forward than its road counterpart, it is tuned for the steepest climbs and sickest flow trails with 10mm of memory foam. From the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup to your home trails, it’s time to hit the dirt.
When to use?
Mountain biking, trail riding or gravel grinding; these XC bib shorts are heavier-duty than the road offerings and offer a more MTB-tuned fit. Ready for racing, high output use during summer months and singletrack speeding, Assos have removed their standard mesh at the rear of the bibs in the pursuit of even more breathability. As temperatures drop, you can wear a heavier skinFoil baselayer and add legWarmers. Assos have always recommend applying the Chamois Crème before every ride.
Features of the XC Bib Shorts
- OFFROAD insert: Coming with an increased 10mm of memory foam compared to its road counterpart, this insert is nestled at the intersection between comfort and performance. Central to the fit is the patented elastic insert interface, which was invented by Assos and sees the insert move with your body, allowing it to sit in one place to follow your movements, reduce friction and increase comfort. For the XC bib shorts, the position and the added thickness at the rear of the insert have been scrupulously optimized to suit the more upright riding position taken while mountain biking.
- Type.429 Titanio: A unique textile, engineered with expertise that uses a 4-way stretch to maximize the elasticity of the fabric.
- dyneRope tex: Full side panels consist of the all-new dyneRope textile, a close-fitted woven fabric with ripstop weaving in black polyethylene. The world’s strongest fiber, 15 times stronger than steel. Lightweight and cut resistant. This material has been placed eternally where the riders’ legs are more exposed to the risk of abrasion when crashing.
- aeroPatterningFenomeno1 design: Drawing on everything Assos learned from their project to create the fastest skinsuit for the London 2012 Olympics, this technical design is instantly noticeable when you put on the short. Crafted with a patent-pending single seam that sits on the rear of your legs, this means the main fabric of the short wraps around your thighs to give you a unique level of comfort and compression from the S7 generation of shorts.
- Y7 frame carrier bibTech: Another noticeable difference in the S7 generation of shorts can be found on the bibs themselves. Cut from wider elastic, they sit with less pressure on your shoulders. The design meets two objectives: less friction and more comfort.
- The Assos goldenGate technology within the insert interrupts the sewing in the area between the legs to create three-dimensional freedom of movement in the most sensitive area. This design has fewer seams, which results in reduced friction. This is a patent-protected feature that is central to the S7 generation of shorts.
- The Assos waffle was introduced on the S5 and has been further perfected for S7. Instead of using a monolithic linear foam as the middle layer, S7 is equipped with a perforated foam resulting in a reduction in weight and increased breathability.
- Sens 2L: Super soft proven textile used for the bib.
- Buckle: Building on feedback received from test riders, Assos have developed a magnetic clasp for Assos' monobib shorts, which runs down the centre of your chest with an accommodating and performance-orientated design that is both easy to fit, unclasp and will not impede your movement while in the riding position. It’s a design that’s equally as suited to road and off-road forays.
- Dual bibStabilizer: An invaluable feature on the bib straps to provide stability while pushing hard, now in a dual design for off-road peace of mind. They also serve as a holder for Zegho sunglasses.
- odorControl: Assos have treated the shorts with an anti-bacterial treatment.
- MTB-specific leg grippers: Mountain biking can be a grueling sport and, as such you ask a fair bit of your legs so it’s paramount that they’ve got sufficient compression and compliancy to push on the climbs.
- OFFROAD XC RACING LINE: Assos understand that the fit of your apparel is key to its performance. When they engineer a product to perform under the most extreme conditions - such as while racing - Assos employ a tighter and slightly more compressive fit. It will feel like a second skin while riding, although it is likely to feel restrictive when not in the riding position. Consequently, it results in a higher performance, improved comfort and less drag.
Material 75% polyamide, 25% elastane