Orange - Alpine 6 E RS 27.5 Electric Mountain
We've been closely watching e-bike components maturing since the very first prototypes. Our first thought was if we're going to do this we need to build what we would call a proper bike not a 'concept' piece for the show halls but a working, useable mountain bike for the terrain we ride. The E.P.O. program was born.
Working with Shimano we based our design around the E-8000 pedal assist drive. We like so many features of this unit. Standard MTB pedal Q-factor, zero drag and most importantly the fact that we do not have to compromise our geometry. The Alpine 6 E rides much like a standard Alpine 6, with extra ‘Vroooom’ on the ascents. We added 20mm to the wheelbase to keep the front down when climbing under power and to give more stability at speed.
The resulting bikes have been a revelation. Every test rider has come back raving about their experience on the bike and how it will bring a major new way of thinking for the sport.
We just love where e-biking is going and we think the Alpine 6 E is a benchmark in that progression. We think you will too.
The Drive Unit
We've chosen to work with Shimano, using the E8000 pedal assist system. The features it offers work extremely well for us. Due to the size of the drive unit, no change to bike geometry is necessary. The E-bike you see here is the exact same geometry as our Alpine 6 model.
The power is delivered when the rider starts pedalling. We've found with the Shimano E8000 unit the power is smooth and controllable, even in boost mode. This is crucial on the technical terrain we love to ride.
Unlike other drive units on the market, the Shimano E8000 crankset has the same Q-factor as the human-powered cranks you are used to, this means no awkward changes to your pedalling position. This drive unit also has a zero-drag feature, so as you surge past the assisted power, often into descents, all of your pedal input goes into the drive, rather than dragging the motor's "gearbox". This gives a really responsive feel when you're hitting those high-velocity descents. You soon forget you're riding an E-bike until the assist kicks in again to help power you up the next climb.
- Frame designed and built in Britain
- 5-year frame warranty
- Compact swing arm with single-pivot suspension for the optimum performance, efficiency and reliability
- 170mm front/160mm rear travel
- Boost 148mm rear hub spacing
- Alpine-trail honed geometry
- Long top tube short stem for high-speed stability
- Shimano E8000 250W drive unit with 70Nm torque
- 504Wh Lithium Ion battery
- Same 177mm Q-Factor as a standard MTB crankset
Here are the technical specifications of the Shimano E8000 drive unit.
Pedal Assist Modes -
All three support modes will assist until 16mph.
- ECO - Riding support while enabling maximum range
- TRAIL - Gradual support for encouraging sportive riding
- BOOST - Full support for maximum boost and uncompromised climbing
- WALK ASSIST - As an additional mode, walk assist can be easily enabled with the assist switch
- Short chainstays (shorter chainstay length ensuring better manoeuvrability)
- Narrow Q-factor of 177mm (compact and lightweight design for better handling with same Q-factor as current Shimano XT)
- Maximum power: 500 W
- Nominal power: 250 W
- Maximum torque: 70 Nm
W eight of Drive Unit:
- Under 3 kg
- Integrated version (504Wh)
- Charging: 80% after 2,5 hrs / 5 hrs from 0 to 100%
- Battery life: 1,000 cycles
Occasionally without notice, manufacturers sometimes change product specifications.